The main purpose of CMS is a publication and content management. When you adapt your CMS for the content publishing in accordance with the characteristics of the project and the needs of its audience, it’s called customization. For example, if you create a blog, CMS should display the latest publications on the main page, and if you maintain an online store, you should be able to publish the product card.
Choosing CMS, consider the following characteristics:
– Customization by default. For example, WordPress default functionality doesn’t allow to run something bigger than a blog, or a small website with basic features.
– Customization using ready-to-use plugins, modules, extensions. It’s great when CMS has enough amount of plugins for all occasions.
– Сustomization using themes and templates. For example, in spite of limited default functionality, WordPress has a lot of themes, adapted for different types of projects: blogging, content resources, online stores.
– Ability to integrate with third-party services. Almost every CMS can be quickly integrated with social networks and analytic services. Pay attention to the possibility of integration of the selected CMS with CRM-system.
Also, we’d like to draw your attention to such function as managing user access levels.
This feature is useful for different types of projects: online store, website and blog. For example, the website owner may provide premium access to the restricted sections for paid subscribers. Or create special opportunities for regular customers and loyalty program participants.
Here are the examples of CMS access control levels:
– Using WordPress you can allow or prohibit the registration of new users, and assign the access level for the registered participant.
– Using Joomla! you can add users to groups with different rights from guest to administrator.
– OpenCart allows you to sort users by groups and status “valid” or “former.”
So, it becomes more clearly why the possibility of customization is an important component of the CMS. In the next post we will try to give a brief description about which platform is best suited to a particular type of project.