is the type of testing that helps to make sure that code changes don’t impact on existing program features. It has to be performed for the validation of data modification. A problem, appeared after alteration, is called a regression bug.
Among the main regression testing advantages we can allocate:
- increasing the ability to track bugs, caused by the new amendments;
- facilitating research of undesirable side effects, which might appear as the result of new operating environment implementation;
- finding early-stage and ingrained errors.
The Regression Testing is required in the next cases:
- a new feature became a part of the product;
- the code and requirements modifications are altered according to the claim;
- developers fixed bugs.
How to implement regression testing?
Usually, such a testing is performed with the help of next methods:
- Retest All. It is about double-check of the entire software set. In many cases, such tests are automated because it’s not reasonable to make repetitive tests.
- Test Case Prioritization. The basic objective is to focus on a limited set of test cases. The most successful and useful tests are executed ahead of all less critical check-ups.
- Schedule Maintenance. It’s better to create a schedule for testing. It will become a part of a software development life cycle and always place that process on the front burner.
- A Test Management Tool Usage. The instrument will give the opportunity to track regular tests and record test results in the future.
- Break Down and Classify Tests. Due to the refactoring of the code base itself, it is easier to work with tests, find out and estimate them. After refactoring, tests need to be categorized.
- Implement Exploratory Testing. The regression checking should have exploratory testing phase, which helps to make sure that tests pass as well as that the software works according to users’ expectations.
Eventually, the classes of smaller checks can be prioritized over others, making the grading and implementation much easier over time.
Tools for Regression Testing
Test automation can really make a whole process much easier. We will review a few notorious and well-established regression testing tools:
- IBM Rational Functional Tester. This platform is regarded as the best tool for functional and regression testing. It checks software programmed in Java, SAP, Net and has its bespoke peculiarity – Storyboard testing.
- Selenium. It can become a perfect “helper” for browser-based regression testing.
- Quick Test Professional. The data-driven tool is used for automated testing and has a special VBScript language, which was created by Microsoft.
Regression testing is a vital procedure which should be included in each software development process. The main task of regression testing is to make sure that a performed code change has not influenced existing peculiarities and broke earlier developed functionality.